Saturday, November 28, 2009

Mescalito, Solo, 5/09


So after 30 or so ascents of El Cap, I finally climbed Mescalito this spring. True to my style of making life hard on myself I blasted in a spring storm...Stupid idea! I spent four days in the ledge getting wet. Unbeknownst to me at the time, I positioned my portaledge in a watercourse. I managed to fix a few pitches off the ledge further committing myself to my soggy prison. After calling my cousin Matt in the meadow I decided to bail from pitch 5 to the ground as my 3 ropes would reach the ground, so I could return to my highpoint.


I came back a few days later and blasted for real this time. I spent 6 days on the wall and had a blast. Sick exposure, easy hauling, and awesome pitches make this a great wall. Some days I only climbed one pitch and just lounged in the ledge taking it all in while listening to gangsta rap. Other days I really motored and one day did 8 pitches, I went from below the molar to the bismark! On the bismark ledge about 20 pitches up I found a black stuff sack and some water. I definitely didn't need the water but the bottle of tequila and margarita mix was a welcome refreshment! After staying up and enjoying the margaritas I passed out on what may be one of El Cap's finest ledges.


When I topped out I was greeted by Althea and her empty pack ready to be filled with my wall gear. What a great friend! After hiiking down the East ledges I was greeted by Matt and spent the night watching the moonlight travel across the wall from El Cap meadow.




No comments: